- The current app has an outdated design that is not appealing to the eye. The colour palette is dull and evokes feelings of boredom. There are also design inconsistencies within the app.
- The buttons and icons look and feel ‘last gen’ and are reminiscent of the early versions of iOS.
- Key information is not being displayed prominently – equal prominence is given to a variety of actions that are not of equal importance to the user.
- On the ‘My Portfolio’ section – an important section of the app – information is difficult to read and make sense of due to poor layout and colours.
- It is difficult to navigate the app to complete fundamental tasks such as balance checking, stock lookup, and stock purchase
- Redesign the app with a modern look and feel with updated colours, fonts, icons, and layout.
- Improve the user experience so the user is able to easily complete the most common tasks – checking account balances, searching for stock prices, and purchasing and trading stocks.
Login and Initial Screen
The design aesthetic is now seamless from sign in screen to the app itself. Upon signing into the app the user is presented with a prominent overview of their account balance and investment holdings. Holdings are also displayed in an easy to read pie chart. Holdings and account balances are now integrated on the main screen and can be toggled between using the tab functionality.
Typeface and Colours
The typeface chosen for the refreshed RBC app is ‘Roboto’ with font sizes ranging from 12pt to 36pt. Roboto works well for displaying data as well as body copy due to it’s clear legibility.
The blues chosen maintain a clear brand identity but sharper reds and greens indicate gains and losses and allow such information to be picked up on at a glance. Soft gradients are also used for graphs on stock details pages.